Merseyside Fire & Rescue attended to a flat fire on Saturday evening at an unnamed property in West Kirby.
Firefighters rescued five people and extinguished a fire at a three storey building.
Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called at 9.33pm on Saturday, May 17, to Riversdale Road, West Kirby, and firefighters extinguished the fire.
The Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service control room received four calls about the fire.
Station Manager Mark Thomas, who attended the call-out, said: “Crews from West Kirby, Upton and Heswall community fire stations attended the property and on arrival firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were committed to tackle a fire on the ground floor involving an electrical intake to the building.
“There were a number of people at windows in the building on the first and second floors when firefighters arrived.
“There were large volumes of smoke and heat and this had blocked the exits to the premises for those people inside. Firefighters used nine-metre ladders to go to their aid and helped two people from the second floor and two people from the first floor to safety.
“Fire crews will also be visiting the property and surrounding area to highlight the importance of having working smoke alarms on each level of people’s homes.”
The fire was suspected to be caused by accident due to an electrical fault.
“The Merseyside Fire and Emergency Support Service (FESS) vehicle, which is run by volunteers with the British Red Cross, also attended Arrowe Park Hospital to offer support to three of the people who had been rescued,” Station Manager Thomas added.
It is understood one woman evacuated the building before firefighters arrived.
Another woman was also led to safety from the property.
All six occupants of the building were checked at the scene by paramedics and four were taken to Arrowe Park Hospital for check-ups.
The fire was extinguished 10.41pm and firefighters had left the scene by 11.45pm on May 17.
For free fire safety advice go to www.merseyfire.gov.uk or call 0800 7315958.